Sunrise at Lanikai Beach

Sunrise at Lanikai Beach

Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Reset Button

It has been over 7 months since I last made a post to my blog. Since then, my world has flipped about 4,600 miles to the west. Literally! From Lexington, Kentucky to Kailua, Hawaii. (I'll be sure to share some stories from the biggest adventure of 2012 during the coming days.)

In recent weeks I've been thrown to the ground a few times. I was laid off from the job I took to move my family to Hawaii, after just 4 months on the job. I then made a quick recovery with a sales management job, that basically was a 2 month experiment by the company which abruptly ended - leaving me out to dry.

Despite the two attempted knock-out punches I've really tried to keep a positive outlook - but I have been reminded that just because you live in paradise, doesn't necessarily mean your life is a paradise. Fortunately I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and the water has a way of quickly clinching my thirst with these beautiful surroundings I get to enjoy on a daily basis with my family. It also has been my sanctuary for making a few important decisions in recent years. Decisions that actually were like hitting the "reset button" of my life.

In August 2010, December 2011, and May 2012, I took several solo trips (w/ Bible in hand) to watch sunrise at Lanikai Beach. (See the photo at the top of this page if you are viewing my blog on the web.) This is my favorite beach I've ever been to, and it's just a 5-10 minute drive from where I live now. Scripture, prayer, and the peace-filled sounds of God's world guided me to make decisions at those 3 moments in my life. Each time of which I hit the "reset button!"

When I think about it, almost exactly 10 years ago on January 4, 2003 the beaches of Siesta Key, Florida witnessed when I proposed to my wife, Teri. The "reset button" I pushed that day was most definitely the easiest, but also the best decision I ever made. I'm grateful that each time I've hit the "reset button" God has blessed me. So I know that even in difficult times of being unemployed, the blessings will overflow in ways I may never suspect.

That is where I am today in my search for employment. The "reset button" has been pressed. Will I get back to teaching daily? Will I find a church choir director position? Will I continue doing management in sales or merchandising? I have no idea when the right job will come along, or what I will be doing. I'm okay with that. A few days ago I wasn't sure I could, but I've learned to be patient and trust that God will provide when I "Come to the Well."



"Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds. Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep; man and beast you save, O Lord. How precious is your steadfast love, O God! The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the abundance of your house, and you give them drink from the river of your delights. For with you is the fountain of life; in your light do we see light." - Psalm 36:5-9


No comments: