Sunrise at Lanikai Beach

Sunrise at Lanikai Beach

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What is God doing?

In August of 2009 I shared these words below with Providence Christian Church (Nicholasville, KY) where I was serving as Choir Director at the time. My 2 years there were a blessing, and I give thanks every day for that experience. On that particular Sunday morning in worship, I played piano and sang Chris Tomlin's "I Will Rise" after preceding it with this:


What is God doing through us?

There is no doubt that the Holy Spirit is with us in each and every Sunday, when we come together for worship.

And so today I want to make sure you are listening…because God is speaking to us. God is calling us…..Calling you to engage in God’s mission for the church.

Are you listening??
What abilities & talents has God blessed you with, for the mission of the church?

Myself & many others have been blessed with the gift of music. For me, I had a single moment when God spoke to me and said that this is what I needed to do with the rest of my life. Now, I won’t get into the details of this moment right now. I would be glad to share that story with anyone that wants to hear it later. Personally, I feel that I was called to use my talents and share my faith to bring others closer to God.

That’s why I am sitting here today. It’s not about me folks! All of the music that takes place in this sanctuary is an offering of praise to God. Remember what I shared 2 months ago when I spoke from the pulpit….God is the audience when we gather together to worship. When the choir presents an anthem, they sing with love and thanksgiving for Christ. When instrumentalists play fantastic melodies, it is all for the Glory of God. When I sing a song as I will in just a moment, I am hopeful that you will hear the words as they come out of my mouth just as if I were standing in the pulpit. I think it is easy to get lost in the music sometimes when you are sitting out there.

And so today this piece of music is a prayer, & I invite you to join me in this prayer. I invite you to listen for the Word of God speaking to you today.

How are we, as a congregation, called to fulfill God’s mission for the church? How are you, as a follower of Christ, being called to engage in this mission?

Are you listening?

No comments: