Sunrise at Lanikai Beach

Sunrise at Lanikai Beach

Monday, January 9, 2012

Paper Publications

Everyone knows that newspapers, magazines, and books are on the way 'out'. Internet and technology have quickly changed the way we get our news and also challenged the industry. I work for a company that distributes and publishes books & magazines, so I see everyday how the industry is being stretched.

I'll admit that I use the 'latest & greatest' methods of communication all the time. Each day I get an email with the headlines of the day from my local paper. I can click on each headline and read the news for free online. Why spend $0.75-$2.00 for a newspaper? Several times a day I click on Kentucky Sports Radio (www.kentuckysportsradio.com) to get my fill of both Kentucky Basketball & Football. Then I can go to espn.com for any national sports news and scores I desire. To top all this I can now use my smart phone to get national news (or anything else for that matter) through a variety of choices of applications. My favorites are the USA Today and Huffington Post apps.

However, over the last several weeks I have become quite fond of being able to hold a paper publication in my two hands. There is no password to enter, no updates to download, as I recently subscribed to Newsweek and Sports Illustrated magazines. I haven't quite figured out if I am feeling like a little-kid or if I feel like a grown-up, but I'm REALLY enjoying both magazines. The journalism is well-written and every article fascinates me.
I'm already planning to renew my subscription 11 months early!

Have you taken a break from reading a newspaper or magazine these last couple of years? If so, give it another shot. I'm loving it!


Follow me on Twitter - @cteesdale


Jason Mraz w/ Toca Rivera - "I Won't Give Up"

No comments: